The Spiritual Life:
The Keys to Growing Closer to God
The Spiritual Life is not simply for consecrated religious and priests, but for everyone, in every state of life. Whether you are a stay-at-home mom, a hard working dad, or a student in high school or college, God is calling you to holiness. Fr. Kirby shows us the need to faithfully answer this call to holiness and does so in a way that is very practical as well. The Video DVD and Audio CD sets both include the complete 4-disc course and one Lecture Guide. The Group Study Edition includes the 4-DVD course, one Leader Guide, and one Lecture Guide. The full-color Lecture Guides provide helpful discussion questions, insightful lecture summaries, and suggested readings for each participant. Available with bulk discounts
About the Author:
Father Jeffrey Kirby was ordained into the priesthood on July 27th, 2007. He received his Masters in Bioethics from Queen of the Apostles in Rome, and his Masters of Arts in Philosophy from Franciscan University where he graduated summa [censored] laude. Since 2010, he has been the Vicar of Vocations for the Diocese of Charleston where he has guided numerous young men and women in the spiritual life and in the process of discernment. In 2011, he founded the Drexel House, a Catholic Residence for Men. Drawing on these experiences, he wrote the book Lord, Teach Us To Pray (Saint Benedict Press, 2014). He has been a contributor of the Homiletic and Pastoral Review, and a guest columnist in The Catholic Miscellany, The Post and Courier, The Charlotte Observer, and The Aiken Standard. He is the co-author of the children's book, Becoming Father Bob and author of the book, Encountering the Lord in His Holy Court: A Walk through St. Peter's Basilica.
1. The Christ Because of the Revelation of Jesus Christ, we now have a better understanding of who God is and what His plans are for us.
2. We Have Come to Believe Declaring Jesus as Lord demands certain things from us, but we do not make this decision alone. When we are transformed in Christ, we become part of a family of believers and are united with the Communion of Saints.
3. Departing from God In order to make progress in the spiritual life, we must acknowledge our unworthiness and follow the purgative way. Only then can we hope to grow in virtue and experience a continual conversion.
4. Jesus as Teacher God is calling each one of us to holiness. In order to walk along this noble path, we must recognize the tangibility of such a demand and take advantage of the spiritual aids that are given to us. 5. Dining with Christ As we continue down the road of holiness, we are fed by the very body of Christ, and are thus given a foretaste of the world to come.
6. Consecrated in Truth If we heed the words of Christ and stay close to Him in prayer, we need not be afraid of failure, for He Himself has prayed for us, consecrating us to the Father.
7. The Desert Entering into silence is essential in maintaining a thriving spiritual life. As such, we must follow Christ into the desert and learn from Him there.
8. A Personal Prayer Life A fruitful spiritual life requires that we turn to God in prayer throughout the day, training ourselves to recognize His presence in every moment.
Item No: C20605 (Grouped)
Publisher: Saint Benedict Press, LLC
Imprint: Catholic Courses
Publication Year: 2014
Binding: Lecture Guide