See Similar Items from this seller's store: Click Here
Online Auction Description
Malaysia 2013 S#1479-1480 The Baba & Nyonya Heritage unfolded setenant set. Mint Never Hinged (MNH). Post Office fresh in excellent condition!
Topic name: culture, art, ceramics, textile, wedding costume, fan
Baba (men) and Nyonya (women) are terms used for the descendants of late 15th to 19th-century Chinese immigrants to the Malay Archipelago. They were partially assimilated into Malay culture, especially in food, dress, and language used, while retaining some of the Chinese traditions and culture like religion, name, folk medicine, and festival celebrations, thereby creating a new mixed culture.
This setenant set features the Nyonyaware, beaded slippers, a typical Baba Nyonya townhouse, and wedding costume.
Nyonyaware is characterised by its decorative motifs and the most vivid and colourful familiar rose enamels. The stamp features a covered jar call "kamcheng" - variously used as a container for water, pickles and other types of food. Also featured are ceramic spoons, plate, and cups with phoenix and peonies - a symbol of prosperity ad good fortune.
The beaded slipper is opne of the most popular Nyonya object still found today. The technique of making such footwear is also one of the few crafts left over from the golden age of Baba & Nyonya. The popular motifs used for the patterns were flowers, birds, butterflies, and fruits.
The typical Baba Nyonya townhouse features Neoclassical pediments, pillars and stucco decorations over windows. House fronts are usually heavily decorated with brightly coloured hand-painted tiles and Chinese characters painted in gold on large backgrounds.
The wedding costume is colourful and elaborate. The headdress worn by the bride is made out of more than a hundred gold and silver hair pins that are put into the hair to form a crown. On her chest and wrists she wears numerous jewelry and accessories. The costumes are made from damask silk and either couched with gold thread or covered with coloured thread embroidery.
All items are sent via registered airmail. Shipping and handling listed below include registration fee.
Europe, America, Middle East, Africa
Singles or sets (Up to 40 grams, 3.5" x 6" envelope)
Miniature sheets (Up to 50 grams, 4.25" x 6.25" envelope)
FDC (Up to 60 grams, 5" x 10" envelope)
FDC pair (Up to 100 grams, 5" x 10" envelope)
Full sheets (Up to 130 grams, 8" x 11" envelope)
Full sheets (Up to 160 grams, 9" x 12.75" envelope)
2. Life Member of Philatelic Society of Malaysia (PSM).
3. Items listed are from personal collection. They are without fault unless noted in the lot description. Although we do not practice Six Sigma, we do have quality control. Stamps will be checked again before shipment.
4. The picture posted is stock photo and it is for illustration only unless stated otherwise, so serial number, perforation etc. may differ.
5. If you're not satisfied with the product you purchased because of inaccurate description, please contact me within 3 days for an exchange or refund if there is no stock. The shipping & handling costs are not returnable.
6. If you collect covers or used stamps and want to buy mint stamps and use them on covers, it can be done. The face value of the stamps will be deducted from shipping and handling costs.